Friday, January 27, 2012

Miles:29.10
Time:4:47
Elev. Gain:4,400'
YTD Miles:74.10
YTD Time:12:35
YTD Elev.:11,600'

Mesa Canal System/Superstition Wilderness-

Was able to make it out for a couple of afternoon/after work runs along the canal in near picture perfect running weather, which is becoming a norm lately. The real highlight of the runs so far has been the fact that my feet have been sporting the hot off the presses New Balance MT110's, NB's and Tony Krupicka's, as well as a host of other New Balance ambassadors, upgrade to the MT101's which I can/could say are/were the best trail shoe I have worn on the trails in my short running life. I can honestly say that I was a bit apprehensive at first since after my first stint in them which was a 12 miler on the Dutchman Trail, I noticed very early on that it seemed that my left foot's upper arch along and above my metatarsals was quickly becoming painful and tender almost as if my foot was planting incorrectly upon impact causing the discomfort. And it did seem as though I was planting incorrectly in the shoe. I was a little cautious as the run wore on since the discomfort did not seem to go away and my thoughts started turning to whether I was going to do major damage to my foot since my plan was for a run that would take over 2 hours. But, to make a long story short I have now traveled over 20 miles in the 110's and after tonight's short run, with no discomfort whatsoever, I am slowly coming to the conclusion that these shoes really were worth the wait and that Tony K's assertion that these truly are a huge upgrade from an already great and ambitious trail shoe was correct and on point. The selling points I have found are the traction/sole which has been beefed up from the 101's and seems maybe even a bit tackier. Also, the back tab and topline collar are a huge advancement over the 101's with their thicker, sturdier yet still flexible makeup. I had a major problem before here with the back tab actually splitting halfway down to the sole bringing in small debris and other undesirables. Moving forward, the shoe is shaping up to be a great addition and one that my foot will become good friends with hopefully.

My 12 miler in the Superstitions was obviously the highlight with an out and back that took me along a running spring which was leftover from the recent rains before dumping me atop a lookout in the shadows of Weaver's Needle. It was a great trail and a great morning. Looking forward to digging my nails deeper into this trail in the coming days.



No comments:

Post a Comment