Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Start To Say The Least!


Miles:10.0
Time:1:42
Elev. Gain:1700'
YTD Miles:203.10
YTD Time:33:07
YTD Elev.:29,600' 


Thursday- 3 miles on the treadmill. Easy.


Saturday-  3 miles at Pinnacle Peak in the northeast valley. I decided to test the legs after another sleepless night. I figured it couldn't hurt to try and get out for some normalcy even if my body never again provides it. I felt good in the initial minutes but the overall steepness of the peak really got to me and I had to cut the run short after a few miles even though I do love the trail conditions of nice flat, soft trails with abrupt switchbacks. Headed home a bit weary.


Sunday4 miles at Picket Post Mountain in Superior, Arizona. After a decent amount of sleep on Saturday night(thank god!)I decided that my open morning would be filled with another jaunt so I headed out east to a landmark that rises out of the desert south of the interstate. After a somewhat lackluster effort on Saturday I knew that I would most likely have a better day at Picket Post especially considering the temps would be about 15 degrees cooler at start. After avoiding a headless and tailless dead Rattlesnake at the mouth of the trail head I headed off the warning signs embedded in my mind which was to keep my head up and looking forward for any signs of movement, as well as bound around any large(r) rocks with any shaded areas. To my amazement I only encountered one rattler which was up on the hillside when I passed and he did not seem to interested in my pathetic fantasies of "Ultrarunning". I rounded out a few miles and decided to head back in as to not push the envelope with my weary and deprived body.


Overall I was happy with actually getting out and including a little bit of vertical into my runs after a day on the treadmill to get my legs back used to running. I am nowhere near through my current insomnia bout but I think I am on the right track. I will see how the second week goes with my progression.















1 comment:

  1. Glad you've been getting out despite the rest not coming too easy. Maybe just trying to get out on a daily basis will aid with the sleep?

    ReplyDelete